Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Library Profile - George W. Hawkes Central Library, Arlington Public Library

I learned a little while ago that one of my hometown libraries is closing its doors tonight as the city prepares to demolish the building. The lot is then going to be used for mixed-use commercial development. Another Central Library has not yet been built. Library users will have to wait until at least 2017 for a new branch. Until then,  according to a library staff member I spoke with, the library's East branch is going to be open longer hours and an 'outpost' of sorts for limited library services will be opened nearby.

The three story Central Library in Arlington, Texas has been a part of the community since 1973. My husband remembers going to this library for story times, I used to visit it a lot in college, and it was the location of my first ever library job. I owe so much to this building and the people who worked here in times gone by. I walked into the library yesterday for the first time in two years to say goodbye. It wasn't like I had hoped; most of the people working the desks were strangers and there were no throngs of people paying last respects. All the same, I found myself remembering the good times.

This is the entrance that most people used to enter the library, although I feel it is technically the back entrance.


This is the lobby where patrons can get library cards and pick up holds. 


They had a banner above the check out stations reads "Turning a Page: A New Chapter of Arlington's Central Library." Although, a new page that will take three years to turn. 


The Youth Room with a banner that says "Take Me There!"


The Story Time space and Children's book collection. 


I'm gonna miss this guy!


The Young Adult section down in the basement, where I spent most of my time. A lot of the book display signs I made are still in place.




The Teen Studio! I will miss you most of all. Even on the 2nd to last day, it is still being used by several teens. 


The outdoor reading patio that they had just built when I left. All of those benches with memorial plaques. I sure hope they make it somewhere else in the city!


A view of the first floor, which holds Adult Fiction, Foreign Language, Music, DVDs, and New Books. 


The epic staircase that takes you to the second floor.


The second floor is home to public access computers and Non Fiction. 




Lastly, here are a few pictures of the street facing 'font' entrance. 



Goodbye, Central Library! I hope the 2017 library that is slated to be built will be home to many more memories and serve the community as valiantly as you. You will be missed. I'm going to go cry now.

Best,
Amanda




No comments:

Post a Comment