Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Story Time Detour - Everett Public Library

Instead of visiting a local story time, I filled in as a substitute librarian today to do a Toddler Time. I had the honor of filling in for the fabulous Ms. Andrea at the Everett Public Library for her Wednesday Toddler Storytime. Since I know that story time crowds like to have some consistency week to week, I did my best to recreate the storytime from Ms. Andrea's outline while adding my own flair. Here is what we did today.

Opposites!

Warm up
The Tempo Marches On – Jim Gill


I normally don't do a warm up; I just dive on in with a hello song and announcements. However, I loved it! This is a great way to get people ready while stragglers come in. I picked The Tempo Marches On because I adore Jim Gill.

3 deep breaths
As we breathe in, we raise our arms above our head; as we breathe out, we bring our arms back to the ground.

What an easy and simple way to calm down the crowd and transition into listening. 

Welcome!
I'm Ms. Amanda filling in for Ms. Andrea. Welcome to Toddler Time, a storytime intended for Children 18mo-2yr. End side conversations and sit you’re your child. Participate!

Pretty standard greeting and setting the expectations.

Hello Song
Hello, Hello
Hello and how are you?
I'm fine, I'm fine
And I hope that you are too.

I added this in here because I just feel weird without doing it. This was my Hello Song for many years during Toddler Time.

Let’s say Hello to our Toes

Can you wiggle your fingers? Let’s say good morning to your fingers.
Good morning fingers (wiggle your fingers), goodbye fingers (hide fingers behind your back)
Good morning fingers (wiggle your fingers), goodbye fingers (hide fingers behind your back)
My fingers are feeling shy today (clasp hands together, and put near your face, like you are shy)
They see their friends, and they are happy! (Wiggle fingers)

Good morning toes…

I haven't done this rhyme before, but it was a perfect transition from the Hello Song to say: "Now we've said hello to each other, let's say hello to our fingers!" 

Criss-Cross Applesauce

Criss-cross, applesauce
Spiders crawling up your back
Cool breeze
Tight squeeze
and now I’m going to tickle you!


This is soooo cute and perfect for toddlers or babies. I did my best to demonstrate what the parents should do. A stuffed animal might have been a good idea here. Luckily, they were mostly regulars and know the drill.

Spot's Opposites by Eric Hill (Copy for every family, read together)


I have only done the individual books for Baby Storytime, but this works great with the toddlers. The parents all read along with me, which was fantastic. What an awesome, involved group we had!

Roll your hands (Tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat)

Roll, roll, roll your hands
As fast as fast can be.
Do it now, let me see,
Do it now with me.
Variations:
Clap, clap, clap your hands…
Tap, tap, tap your feet…
5 Little Ducks - Flannel

I found the flannel in their storytime closet and could not resist. I love singing this song. I connected it to opposites by saying: "If the ducks go out, what would be the opposite? If the ducks come back in! That's right. Let's see if they come back in after they go out."

Yummy Yucky by Leslie Patricelli (Copy for every family, read together)


I love this book. I liked that it was a little different from Spot's Opposites. A lot of those opposite books can get repetitive.

Hap Palmer’s Rock and Roll Freeze Dance - with scarves!


This was on her outline and I had a lot of fun. I love using scarves. :) I was actually surprised that, as young as they were, they got the 'freeze' parts right. It goes to show what repeating songs and concepts can accomplish.  

Animal Opposites, a Pop Up Book


I choose this out of their storytime closet and it worked really well. This book is good for didactic reading and movement. I asked them about the different animals and told them to stretch and bounce with me.

Raffi’s Shake My Sillies Out (2 times, with rattles)


This was in her outline and it made me really happy. I've done this song for years in my storytimes. I used the CD this time for the beat, but I normally just belt it out acapella style.  

We Wave Goodbye Like This (Tune: Farmer in the Dell)

We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye like this.
We clap our hands for all our friends.
We wave goodbye like this

I used her goodbye song to finish off the storytime portion and they all sang along. Yay! 

Bring out the Toys and Bubble machine

Oh, boy. Did they love this part. My helper today, a library page named Jennifer (without whom I was doomed to fail) brought out the bubble machine and waltzed around the room, showering the toddlers in bubbles. I, meanwhile, dumped 4 large tubs of toys on the carpet. I've had toys and playtime at the end of Toddler Time before and I am very much for it. While some parents leave right away and don't engage, many others stay to play and the parents get to connect with one another.

I had a blast today and was grateful for the chance to flex my storytime muscles. I learned some new tricks and met some pretty rad kids.

Best,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment